Isaiah 43:5

Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. Isaiah 43:5

Monday, June 15, 2015

Final days in an external fixator (ending month 3)

Lucy girl is in the home stretch -- only days remaining until "hulk" is removed from her leg!!
This chain had over 90 links when the
countdown started
Only 3 more links!
               We're so excited, I'm tempted to start counting down the hours!  While we had a lot of daily things that became a part of our routine these past three months, bath time was one (yes - the entire ex. fix. was to be immersed in water)  and having a huge kitchen sink that my little girl fit into for bath time was priceless the last 3 months.   My back is grateful to have had less bending and lifting with this task.
But there were still times were play time in the tub with your
b.f.f. was a great past time!
With bathtime over and her hair air drying,
she's sitting on Pop-Pop & Mom-Mom's couch waiting to start game time!

I've been part of an international external fixator support group since shortly before Lucy's surgery.  I've learned a lot from others (adult and children) who have BTDT (been there done that).  One fun thing I noticed from time to time was pictures showing some fun and colorful ex. fixes.  You know-- add some pizazz!  Some folks have added color by painting with nail lacquer and other's I saw used fun patterned duck tape.  Having seen these pics and with thoughts of going out in style, we opened the hello kitty duck tape and the roll of ladybugs and flower duct tape....."

      
And for those faith blog followers who remember several months ago when I posted this post, you'll remember that Lucy's doll, Mei Ling got her external fixator put on a few weeks before Lucy girl.  It was time for Mei Ling's ex. fix. to be removed!  And now her leg is straight!
However, a visiting friend "Rosie" whom also has a bent leg, needed to have an external fixator put on stopped in for a visit.  She  will travel with Lucy (and Mei Ling) this week to Shriner's Hospital for children.  Rosie's ex. fix. was also  put on by the experienced Dr. Pop Pop.  Little Rosie will stay at Shriner's as a visual for other little people with impending external fixator surgery in their future - much like Mei Ling was for Lucy. Lucy's "shoe" orthotics will also stay at Shriner's as samples with the hope that other children will possibly be blessed by the orthotic team and be able to walk while in their ex. fix too.  
one FUN looking "shoe" orthotic!
Mei Ling, Lucy and Rosie!


As I reflect back on the past three months, I can't say it was easy, or it flew by or that I'd want to do it again.  But I can truthfully say that God's faithfulness, provision  and love was experienced in a way we've never experienced before and for that I'm humbled and grateful.

Just last week when Lucy and I were talking about her ex. fix. being taken off soon, she stopped what she was doing and said "how Mom?"  I didn't know what she meant and I asked, "why are you saying "how?"  She said "how my ex. fix. come off?" For months we have talked about it coming off, but Mommy failed to explain HOW/WHERE it would come off.  Without any forethought, I quickly replied  "oh, in surgery, in surgery they'll take off your ex. fix."  Immediately my girl broke into tears.  Big tears and sobs.  I think my heart may have skipped a few beats and my blood pressure dropped because suddenly it hit me like a ton of breaks - I had told my girl "surgery" (AGAIN!) - she now has put it all together and after every surgery she's had pain.  Lots and lots of intense pain for days!  Of course she cried, became scared and suddenly wasn't so very happy about the cage being removed from her leg!  I scooped her up (as best as I can with metal being a barrier between us)  and promised her she'd be asleep and it wouldn't hurt at all, because she can't feel anything when she's sleeping. I then re-explained that when she wakes up she'll have her big cast on her leg.  A cast like one of the many she had on when they were helping her foot become straight.  I reminded her that Jesus will be with her in the surgery room just like always and Mommy and Daddy will be waiting there for her when she wakes up.  We've reviewed this scenario several times now in the past few days and I can see she does trust what I'm saying but I can also tell that her past experiences have indeed  left some painful, hard memories that are still very fresh.   

Friends, I'm asking you to please join us in prayer on Wednesday morning, June 17th.  Please pray for that peace that passes understanding to encompass Lucy Kim as she enters the operating room again and that she will have no trauma to her psyche or body from this next surgery! Praise God with us for his love, faithfulness in the hard times, guidance to spectacular doctors, support of family and friends and praise too that there have been no complications during this ex. fix. journey!  That's A LOT to be thankful for friends.
                          A thank you to each one of you  for your on going love and support!


The thought that the world might have missed out on the glory of her makes me teary! 


No comments:

Post a Comment